Friday, May 14, 2010



New York keeps me on my toes. I never know what to expect when I walk out my front door. I was reminded of this today when I walked out of my apartment and was greeted with 10 blocks of street vendors selling food and art. The food ranged from specialty food items, restaurants with booths set up, down to the classic funnel cake. I also saw a few vendors selling fried oreos. Does an Oreo really need to be fried?
As I was walking through the foodie street fair my only wish was that it was one week later. Taber arrives on Monday and he would have been in heaven. He and I would have had a great time walking through together. Each loving it in our own way. I would enjoy looking at the menus, seeing the different flavor combinations, and the clever marketing. Taber would enjoy eating it all. The only downfall of his time spent roaming a food festival would be deciding on what to eat. If I had chosen for him today, he would have been torn between the Empanda Mama and Gourmet Steak Sandwich. In the end the steak being cooked on an open fire pit for all to see would have won him over. I would have gone for the classic roasted corn. The popping of the sweet roasted corn kernels in your mouth are worth the package of floss it takes to get your teeth clean after eating it.

As far as I know, the food/street fair goes on throughout the summer. When Taber gets here I plan on tracking it down. I also plan on having floss in my purse, because I will eat an ear of roasted corn.

Below is a recipe for roasted garlic corn. Rather then smother the corn with butter try brushing it with a roasted garlic and sea salt paste. This will cut down on the saturated fat and take the flavor up a notch. Great for grilling on a summer night.

ROASTED GARLIC CORN
INGREDIENTS:
-1 head garlic
-2 teaspoon olive oil
-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
-6 ears of corn

DIRECTIONS for ROASTED GARLIC SPREAD
-Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Peel away the outer layers of the garlic bulb skin, leaving the skins of the individual cloves intact. Using a knife, cut off 1/4 to a 1/2 inch of the top of cloves, exposing the individual cloves of garlic.
-Drizzle olive oil over the head, using your fingers to make sure the garlic is well coated. -wrap with aluminum foil.
-Bake at 400°F for 30-35 minutes, or until the cloves feel soft when pressed.
Allow the garlic to cool enough so you can touch it without burning yourself. Use a small small knife cut the skin slightly around each clove. Use a cocktail fork or your fingers to pull or squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins.
-With a fork, mash the garlic heads with the salt.
-Spread on hot corn.

DIRECTIONS FOR GRILLED CORN
-Clean that corn by cutting off excess silk hanging from the end and remove loose husk.
-Completely submerse all of the corn you will be cooking under water. This will provide extra moisture for cooking. Let the ears of corn soak for at least 15 minutes prior to cooking.
-While your corn is soaking, prepare the grill.
-Remove the corn from the water and pour out any excess
-Place the corn on the grill.
-If you are using a gas grill, keep the heat on med-high and turn the ears every 5 minutes.If you don't turn them enough, the corn will char.
-The ears will turn brown and might even catch on fire. The water that you soaked them in is steaming them inside the husks.
-Once they are browned all around, remove from the grill.
-Grasping one end with a dish towel, peel the silk and leaves from the top down (like a banana). They should all come off in one piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment