Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mr. Caesar Would Approve


There is one dish that is always requested and present our family gatherings. Susie Frank's (my aunt) Caesar salad. It is, hands down, the blue ribbon of Caesar salads. The beauty of it is it's simplicity. It is light and refreshing enough for a hot summer day but can also round out a steak dinner on a cold winter night. She has mastered the ratio of olive oil to lemon juice perfectly. Having been spoiled with her Caesar salad my entire life, I am always skeptical of other Caesar salads. Before biting into them I know they will not live up to the standard I have become accustom to. Which is why I usually avoid them entirely. The other day at school we were given a recipe for "Vegan Caesar Salad". Before making it I had my mind made up that it would be the first and last time I would make it...I was wrong. The dressing turned out to be fantastic. I now have the recipe stared in my recipe collection. No Caesar dressing will ever live up to Susie's, but the Vegan Caesar dressing comes in at 2nd place. Give it a try, it may even end up starred in your recipe collection too.

VEGAN CAESAR SALAD
INGREDIENTS
-2-3 garlic cloves (if they are big only use 2)
-1 tablespoon white miso
-2 Tablespoon lemon juice
-1 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
-1 tablespoon mustard
-1/2 teaspoon umeboshi paste
-1 teaspoon shoyu
-1 ounce silken tofu
-6 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
-1/2 sheet nori, crumbled
-1 head Romain lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
-2 cups homemade croutons
-freshly ground pepper

DIRECTIONS
-In a blender, combine garlic, miso, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, umeboshi paste, shoyu, tofu, olive oil, and nori. Blend until mixture is smooth and creamy.
-Toss salad with croutons and dressing; serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment