Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day from Afar






For the second year in a row I am miles away from my mom for mother's day. Last year Taber and I were in Italy and this year I am here in New York. Although I am not physically with my mom on mother's day I am still celebrating her. My mom is beautiful, compassionate, smart, strong, giving, and trusting. My sisters and I are extremely blessed to have her as our mom, best friend, and role model. If I were in Washington for Mother's Day I would make her a poached egg breakfast sandwich with walnut pesto and arugula. For dessert she always skips the cake and goes straight for the frosting. So I would make her a large batch of homemade frosting.

Poached Egg Sandwich with Walnut Pesto, Shaved Parmigiana cheese and Arugula

INGREDIENTS:
-1/2 whole wheat english muffin, toasted
-1 free range organic egg, poached
-1 Tablespoon walnut pesto (recipe below)
-shaved parmigiana reggiano cheese
-1/4th cup arugula

DIRECTIONS
-Spread Walnut Pesto on toasted english muffin
-Place the arugula on top of pesto
-carefully place poached egg on top
-top with freshly ground salt, pepper, and shaved parmigiana reggiano cheese



Basil-Walnut Pesto
-3/4th cup walnuts, toasted
-2 cups packed basil leaves
-1 garlic clove
-2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
-1/4th cup extra virgin olive oil
-salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
- Preheat over to 350.
-Place walnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes.
-Rub some of the walnuts to loosen skin. It is not necessary to remove all skins, only what readily comes off.
-Place Walnuts and the rest of the ingredients in food processor. Process until smooth adding more olive oil if needed.
combine all ingredients in food processor

No comments:

Post a Comment