Monday, May 17, 2010

Beet and Onions Vinaigrette



Hate is too nice of a word to describe my feelings towards beets as little as two months ago. I was convinced they were dirt balls covered in red dye. That earthy flavor is now what I love most about them. My feelings towards beets turned around on my moms last night in New York. We went to a fantastic restaurant where she ordered the beet and goat cheese salad. I took a bite to make her happy (beets are her favorite)and to my complete surprise I found myself self going back for seconds, thirds, and then fourths. Now I cannot get enough of them.

This recipe is light, simple and delicious. Perfect for a hot summer day. Try to buy beets with leaves, trim them to within 1 to 2 inches of the bulb and leave on the root. This will keep the beets from losing their color during cooking.

BEETS ND ONIONS VINAIGRETTE
recipe from "The Natural Gourmet". Written by Annemarie Colbin (the founder of my school)
INGREDIENTS:
-3 medium or 6 small beets
- 2 medium onions
-1/4th cup brown rice or apple cider vinegar
-2 Tablespoons umeboshi vinegar (optional.I did not have any of this so I left it out)
-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
-1 bunch arugula or watercress

DIRECTIONS:
-Boil the whole, unpeeled beets for one hour in water to cover
-Meanwhile, slice the onions into thin crescents. Bring water to boil in a 2-quart saucepan, drop in the sliced onions, then drain them immediately in a strainer.Place the onions in a salad bowl. Combine the vinegars and oil and pour over the onions. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the beets.
-When the beets are finished cooking, drain and set side to cool. Working with wet hands, peel by slipping off their skins and stem end (it will come off easily) and running under cold water.
-Slice the meets and add to onions. Toss gently and let stand for 30 minutes more.
-Serve on a bed of watercress or arugula.

I apologize for my less than great photo skills. I have yet to figure out how to capture the food so it looks as appetizing as it tastes.

1 comment: