Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Jinx

I took my level of "uniform decoration" to an entire new level today. After spending an hour garnishing my strawberry almond torte (the recipe I posted yesterday)with kiwis and strawberries I put it on top of the speed rack for later use, which is two feet taller than me. At the time, I thought this would be a safe spot for my beautiful torte. Out of the way of the hustle and bustle of the other chefs and away from the hot ovens. Little did I know that the biggest threat to my torte would be my own two hands. I reached up to take it off the speed rack to cut for service. What happened next is both comical and depressing. The torte slid off the cake stand, onto my head, and then onto the floor. The entire kitchen stopped and all eyes were on me as I stood in a pile of strawberry, kiwi, orange, and almond cake. Their expressions were somber, waiting to see if I was going to burst into tears, throw something, or laugh. I choose to smile. Partly to keep my tears from flowing and partly because I was in disbelief that I had just dropped a torte on my head.

Next time you have a bad day imagine me in the middle of a busy kitchen covered from head to toe in torte. Or even better, imagine the entire process of the torte sliding in slow motion off the cake stand, onto my head, and slowly dripping down my body onto the kitchen floor. Hopefully it will help you crack a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment