Monday, June 7, 2010

Favorite Past Time


I have found a new source of free entertainment while walking the streets of New York. Analyzing the different styles of hailing a taxi. I am less than 48 hours into this game but can already tell I will never get bored with it. Within four blocks today I saw the eager man who looked like he was trying to direct traffic, the shy woman who barely lifted her arm in the air, and the overly excited woman who looked like she was going to break out into a dance (jumping up and down frantically waving her hands). I usually opt for walking or the subway, but when I do hail a taxi I am now worried that I may put too much bounce in my hail. A few spirit fingers may even slip through. I tell myself to act calm and collected but sometimes I cannot contain the inner cheerleader.
Next weekend I plan on packing a lunch of Chopped Vegetable Watermelon and Feta Salad and camping out by a bunch of taxi hailers. Stay tuned for more hailing styles...

CHOPPED VEGETABLE WATERMELON AND FETA SALAD

INGREDIENTS
1 pound plum tomatoes, diced.
1 1/2 cups diced seeded watermelon
1 large green bell pepper, seeded, cut into 1/3-inch cubes
1/2 large cucumber, seeded, cut into 1/3-inch cubes
1/2 cup very thinly sliced radishes
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
10 ounces feta cheese, cut into small cubes (about 2 1/2 cups),
2 divided green onions, chopped, divided
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh mint leaves, divided
1/2 cup plain Greek-style yogurt
1 teaspoon dried oregano

DIRECTIONS
Toss first five ingredients and two tablespoons oil in large bowl. Add half each of cheese, green onions, and mint. Mix remaining cheese, green onions, mint, and oil in food processor; add yogurt and oregano. Process just to blend (do not over-mix or dressing will get thin). Season dressing with salt and pepper; mix into salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment