Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Lessons learned

I have learned many lessons in the past three weeks. Some of them from school and some from living in NYC. Each lesson deserves its own entry, but unfortunately I don't have the time nor the mental capacity to do that (school takes up a majority of my brain capacity these days). These are the lessons I have learned...

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED FROM SCHOOL
-Now that I am a chef my money should go towards nice pots and pans, not shoes. Not entirely convinced of this.
-The nice pots and pans I invest in should be willed to my child.
-If a chef instructor asks what the smell of lemon grass reminds you of and you answer "my L'occitan hand lotion", you will be the only student in class that does not give a food related answer.
-Vegetables and herbs are not snowflakes, decide on a cut and make them uniform.
-I love the sound of chiffonading cabbage.
-Drinking a lot of water plus a small bladder plus cooking for six hours straight is not a good combo. Chefs are not allowed potty breaks.
-Dress warmly in class. The air conditioner is on so high that it rattles the pots and pans. This I am thankful for once I am over a hot burner, not so thankful while I am in lecture.
-It takes more processing to turn corn into high fructose corn syrup than it does to turn a tree into turpentine (translation...stay away from high fructose corn syrup).
-How you cut your onions determines their flavor. Different cuts release different oils.
-If you serve waffle fries instead of regular fries you can charge $3 more simply because it looks fancier.
-Forget about doing your hair while you are a culinary student.

THINGS I HAVE LEARNED LIVING IN NYC
-I should not smile and say hi to the man with the gold grill that I pass on the way home from the train everyday (although his compliments are a boost to the ego)
-Never walk slower than 7 mph.
-The news stand sells week old magazines for only $1...what a deal
-NYC Starbucks charges $1 more per drink than they do in Seattle
-Getting stuck in a mob of tourist is not a good start to the day
-Never ask for your bagel toasted. New York bagel shops are offended by this.
-I love Times Square in the morning.
-There is a truck for everything (cupcakes, coffee, ice cream, taco, burger...)
-If I don't want someone sitting too close to me on the subway, put a bag of chopped onions in my purse.
-People stay out until 5 in the morning. Even on Sundays.

Both lists to be continued...

1 comment:

  1. I love the list! Especially the one about the man with the gold grill...I agree that the comments are, sadly, a confidence booster :)

    ReplyDelete